Reading Journal #5: Emoji Stories

Emojis are not only fun to use but also resourceful. I use it in my English classes too. Besides using memes or animated GIFs, I use emojis—a lot. Btw, check this article that discusses how you can have fun with emojis in your teaching. 

I remember that meme of how a mother misused that crying-LOL emoji. So, instead of using the appropriate crying emoji to respond to a tragedy, she used a Face-with-Tears-of-Joy emoji that got her kid to protest! Funny. 

One of the assignments in my extensive reading class also uses emojis. I asked my students to pick and read two stories in ER Central. Then, for each story, they needed to choose an emoji that best represents their opinion on the story or what they feel after reading the story. You may check my student's update in the list below. 

Star Struck Emoji, from Emojipedia.org

I also read two articles. I chose this star-face/star-struck emoji to describe how I felt after reading my first text. It's a non-fiction one, 'Sign Language,' written by CompassMedia. It is a Level-8 text with 299 words—an easy one. As the title suggests, this text discusses sign language, particularly American Sign Language. The text briefly introduces how people who cannot hear make different finger-shapes, move their hands, and use facial expressions to communicate. I always want to learn how to sign, but I haven't got the chance to do so. I love watching some signing clips on YouTube, even those songs sung in sign language!

Grinning face with sweat, from Emojipedia.org

The Monster is the second text I read, still written by CompassMedia. Surprisingly, because I didn't notice it, although it is a Level 16 fiction text, it only contains 60 words. A super short one! Haha! So, it's about a kid lizard and his/her mom. The kid reported to her mom that he/she had seen a monster, which turned out to be a train--with a big noise and many round feet! I love reading and watching fantasy stories, including the ones about monsters. I chose that grinning face with the sweat because I was quite surprised to find out that the story only has few words. Whew!

What about you?  What's your favorite emoji? And have you read a story recently? What emoji will you use to describe the story or your feeling after reading it? Why don't you share your emoji in the comment box below? 

Btw, here's the list of my student's recent blog posts with their emoji stories. And I would like to invite you to read their writings by teasing the emojis they used. 

Popular Posts