ER Assignment #2: I think, I don't think...

Even when we're talking about the same thing or topic, we might have a different opinion from others--and that's okay actually. That also applies to the discussion on reading interest and habit.

Smoking scandal quit GIF - Find on GIFER

Some might think that reading is fun, while others don't really enjoy it. I might prefer a particular genre or topic to read, but my friends might roll their eyes when they find out that I love reading a certain book. Many can read texts quickly and fast, while others, including me, often need to read and reread a sentence to really grab its meaning. 

Today's online discussion I had with my students is about our opinion on reading. We need to respond to these eight statements. 

  1. Reading in my first language is fun. 
  2. Reading English is difficult. 
  3. I should usually look up new words in my dictionary.
  4. Reading English is boring. 
  5. It is easier to read about sports than science. 
  6. If I read very fast, it is hard to understand the meaning. 
  7. Reading out loud is a good idea. 
  8. Reading English is fun.

I think I'd agree with the first statement. Of course reading in Bahasa Indonesia is (still) fun, although I do enjoy reading English books, too. I would carefully choose what I want to read, which includes selecting the topics and the authors. I am easily interested in an article when I know who writes it. I fall in love with certain authors or writers, whose writing is systematically composed and style is both engaging and convenient to follow. 

Nothing To Do But Read GIF - Bored Crazy Reading - Discover & Share GIFs

Reading in English can also be difficult for me, again, based on the authors and the topics. Even if the language is difficult, with complex structures of sentences and unfamiliar words, I'd still love to read the material if it's written by a certain author or it discusses a topic I love. And when I come across difficult words, I sometimes need to consult an online dictionary (I have a dictionary app on my phone too). I'll write about online dictionaries next time. 

And when I have to read those 'challenging' books or articles, I often have to slow down my reading speed. Rereading a single sentence or a paragraph and even reading out loud helps me much in understanding those tough materials!

Talking about my favorite genre or topic, I'd easily (and proudly) say that I always enjoy reading sci-fi or fantasy stories (Magic always excites me! I'm not into occultism, tho. LOL). I used to read many novels. Nowadays, I'd rather read non-fiction: self-help, personal development, communication, or even psychology. And I'd admit that I enjoy reading books or articles on Christian spirituality too. Sports? That's not my cup of tea. 

25 Literary GIFs for Book Lovers | Book memes, Icarly, Why book


A few weeks ago, there's this challenge I joined on Facebook. I was asked to share seven book covers, without providing any explanation or reason. But of course, I picked those seven books because I love them and I want to encourage my FB friends to read them too. Here are those books, 

  1. How to Talk so Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk
  2. Boundaries
  3. Mere Christianity
  4. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
  5. Talk Like TED
  6. Matinya Kepakaran, or originally The Death of Expertise
  7. Judy Moody Menaklukan Dunia


Wanna read what my students think of those eight statements related to reading? Check their recent blog posts below.


What about you? Please leave your comments below.

Popular Posts